Thursday, May 05, 2005

To Form a More Perfect Union

I'm afraid the Culture Wars have gotten the best of me. All the fighting--raging for many, many months now--over God and Secularism and Right and Left and motives, presuppositions, worldviews, political philosophies, moral imperatives, and every day's scandalous cover story--has left me flat.

And because every thing is made into Something, I'm becoming tired and numb. And not comfortably so.

But I'm never tongue-tied. So I say this, and only this for now (despite the 3 posts I've been working on that are in edit mode and might never see the light of day): I fear that in these battles over "American culture," these heady and soul-bending times, too many of us have lost sight of the glorious and visionary America the Founders created.

I'm stepping back. I'm not asking What Would Bush Do? Or What Would Kerry or Dean or Clinton or Kennedy Have Done? Or What Would the Editors of the New York Times or the National Review Do? Or even What Would Jesus Do?

Instead, today, in America: What would the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence, or the 39 delegates whose names grace the United States Constitution, or the Senators and Representatives who passed the Bill of Rights do? What would they say? How would they make sure we're on track? How does this fight for the heart of America jive with their original dreams for America?

I'm beginning to think this is an obligation we owe them.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jesse said...

I hate to be a pessimist but they would probably discuss the best way to rid themselves of those Indian savages followed by giving their slaves some orders.

The concept of democracy is great but the people that founded it, in my mind, aren't models of it.

9:07 PM  
Blogger The Accipiter said...

I don't mean to suggest we look to them for inspiration through their actions, necessarily. I simply mean that we should look to their higher ideals, even ones they couldn't bring themselves to practice.

Good point, however.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm newbie in Internet, can you give me some useful links? I know only about Yahoo [url=http://yahoo.com]Yahoo[/url] http://yahoo.com Yahoo

6:51 AM  
Blogger Cheap Tap said...

In fact, now in the UK people adding a lot of innovative Taps UK factors, such as USB Bathtub Taps which can save power and water, as well as colorful Pull Out Kitchen Taps which can increase your pleasure when using and enjoying the water

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home